Feb 28, 2023 |
From our friends at USARK
UPDATE 3/1: HB3695 has been assigned a hearing for March 7. Now is the time to voice your opposition by submitting a “Witness Slip.”
1. Click here: https://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/148952?committeeHearingId=19839&LegislationId=148952&LegislationDocumentId=185522&GridCurrentCommittees-page=7
2. Fill out Section I.
3. Section II can be skipped unless representing a group or organization.
4. In Section III, select “Opponent.”
5. In Section IV select either “Written Statement Filed” (if you sent a letter or email) or “Record of Appearance Only.”
6. Click the “I Agree” box and then click “Create(Slip)” in the lower right.
Very basic summary:
1. Ban on any animal species non-native to the U.S. being transported and then viewed by any audience;
2. the only exemption applies to programs in which the animal is not transported at a “non-mobile, permanent institution, or other facility;”
3. violation penalty is up to a year in jail and $2,500 fine (Class A misdemeanor);
4. This bill amends the current law (720 ILCS 5/48-11) which only applies to elephants but would include ALL non-native species and those of a “foreign character” if it passes.
Illinois House Bill 3695 (HB3695) is a broad-sweeping ban on educational animal outreach and other programs with any animal species not native to the United States.
Leave a Reply